View Vacancy - Community Liaison Officer AO (05/22 KRT)
Main purpose of job:
FCDO is seeking a CLO to advocate for and provide support to UK based staff and dependants on community issues. This position will focus primarily in the areas of information gathering, welfare, and communication, with an emphasis on providing support and information to newcomers, ensuring a smooth transition for both UK Based (diplomatic) staff and their dependants.
Gather comprehensive and accurate information: The CLO initiates Embassy contact with newly-recruited staff and families and helps them navigate the administration of taking up a diplomatic posting and moving to a new country. They are responsible for the Embassy Welcome Pack and the Post Report and contribute to induction processes.
Support Staff Welfare and morale: The CLO acts as a source of referral and support where questions, concerns and challenges arise and collates guidance for staff and their families on: spouse/partner employment regulations; children's education; childcare; career and training opportunities, and; recreational facilities and interest groups. The CLO also compiles several annual surveys that provide data about the Embassy for London and provides support with medical issues.
Advocate for UK-based staff and families: The CLO helps staff and families address issues, including with Corporate Services, for example acting as their representative on the Post Housing Committee, and as the chief link between the Embassy and the Diplomatic Service Family Association in London.
- Provide pre-deployment support and information to various UK Government departmental Diplomats and their dependants and as they arrive in country.
- Facilitate a smooth arrival and induction for officers and dependants.
- Ensure newcomers are introduced to the community and information on community activities are disseminated.
- Provide support to a diverse group of officers from families to singletons at post. Prepare welcome packs, departure packs, and information guides on topics of interest.
- Prepare bi-annual Cost of Living Allowance returns, Diplomatic Services Families Association (DSFA) annual return, post fact sheet, post report, geographical expenditure guide and quarterly CLO bulletin.
- Design a community activities program including family events, local tours and wellness clinics.
- Attend regular internal Embassy meetings, as appropriate, to increase wider perspective and to build relationships, to include but not limited to the weekly Platform Team Leaders, Post Housing Committee meetings and others as deemed necessary.
- Advocate for UK based staff and dependants in addressing concerns or issues of importance. Establish regular communication with the Deputy Head of Mission and Head of Corporate Services.
- Engage with British Embassy Estates Team and Technical Works colleagues to ensure officers and dependants housing are of the highest standard for their arrival, including the management and provision of domestic floats.
- Compile school information sheets and visit area schools as requested. Liaise with London’s Education Team to discuss policy queries and changes.
- Participate in Crisis Team exercises and events.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Management of the welcome pack, induction pack, relevant CLO pages on post SharePoint
- Post report and fact sheet
- Domestic equipment floats and other post returns e.g. COLA return
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to be professional and confident.
- Excellent communication skills, someone who treats everyone with fairness and respect.
- Excellent costumer service skills and strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Excellent IT skills (Excel and Word).
- Approachable, empathetic, resilient, and discreet.
- Previous CLO experience or experience of expatriate life.
Part-time job share. 19.25 hours per week. Days of work will be agreed upon recruitment.
3 days a week, 9am – 3:20pm
The British Embassy in Khartoum is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, medical insurance scheme; ample development opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
We treat people with respect and equality and have a zero tolerance policy for any form of discrimination, bullying or harassment. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team with stretching objectives and a strong team working ethos across the 1HMG Platform.
- This contract is a 2 year fixed term and highly renewable subject to performance.
- Interested candidates must attach (1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and (2) a covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role.
- Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the required elements in the Success Profile Questions section of the online application form.
- Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Khartoum are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Sudan.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to; Obtain the relevant permit; Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link:
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- British Embassy will only contact successful candidates, if you do not hear from us please consider your application unsuccessful.
This opportunity is closed to applications.