View Vacancy - Political Officer (Conflict and Regional Politics) (06/21 KRT)
Main purpose of job:
The Political Officer will play a central role for the Embassy, reporting on and analysing political issues relating to peace negotiations and the situation in Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile, in support of the UK’s strategic objectives for a stable and more prosperous Sudan. The successful candidate for this demanding and challenging role will have a detailed understanding of regional politics in Sudan and the ability to develop extensive contact networks. Experience in managing development programmes would be beneficial, but is not required.
Reporting on developments in Sudan’s Conflict Areas (50%)
- Develop and maintain a contact network covering Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile, both inside and outside of government.
- Produce regular, analytical reports on conflict developments to inform UK policy.
- Engage in analytical discussions about the causes of violence and possible UK interventions.
Support to Her Majesty’s Ambassador and other diplomatic staff (30%)
- Propose, arrange and attend meetings and events with (or without) the Ambassador and other political staff, providing readouts of key points.
- Support high-level visits by British Ministers and senior officials to Sudan
- Support and organise Embassy trips across Sudan
Policy support to conflict and human rights programming (15%)
- Support the development of impactful conflict and human rights programming for the embassy.
- Support to monitoring and evaluation process.
Team Support and Learning and Development (5%)
- Provide ad hoc support to other teams priorities.
- To undertake necessary training and development activities for the job
- In depth understanding of Sudanese political dynamics, especially with respect to Darfur and the Two Areas (South Kordofan and Blue Nile)
- Level of language required: Fluency in English and Arabic
- Prior experience working on conflict mitigation
- Prior experience managing development programmes
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Khartoum are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Sudan.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to; Obtain the relevant permit; Pay the fees for the permit; Make arrangements to relocate; Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates
- British Embassy will only contact successful candidates, if you do not hear from us please consider your application unsuccessful
This opportunity is closed to applications.